Purpose: To honor outstanding contributions of music educators in New York State at the local level in 10 or more years of their career.
- Must be an active or retired NYSSMA member who is or has been employed in the field of music education for a minimum of 10 years.
- Has demonstrated effectiveness in teaching young people through music and who has the ability to inspire positive attitudes among students, the school and community in a balanced program.
- Has demonstrated a concern for music education by active involvement in NYSSMA as well as other local and district activities.
Method of Nomination
Any member of NYSSMA may nominate a person(s) deemed worthy of this special recognition.
- Complete the form below.
- Upload your letter of recommendation
- Upload two additional letters of recommendation, one preferably from an administrator and the other from a music teacher.
Number of Awards to Be Presented Annually
No more than two (2) Established Educator Awards will be given in one year.
Method of Selection
- The NYSSMA Awards and Recognition Committee will review each nomination.
- If not selected, individuals submitting nominations may petition the committee to reconsider the application the following year.
- The committee reserves the right to not recommend any award recipient when appropriate.
The Awards and Recognition Committee will recommend the recipient to the NYSSMA President who will notify the recipient. The award may be presented at a local function.