Purpose: To recognize new and creative approaches to music education within or outside the school day.
- Must be a NYSSMA member who is or has been employed in the field of music education in New York State.
- Has demonstrated effectiveness in teaching young people through music and who has the ability to inspire positive attitudes among students, the school and community.
- Has demonstrated interest in and application of innovative educational programs that reach students outside of the standard educational applications.
Method of Nomination
Any member of NYSSMA may nominate a person(s) deemed worthy of this special recognition.
- Complete the form below.
- Upload your letter of recommendation
- Upload two additional letters of recommendation, one preferably from an administrator and the other from a music teacher.
Number of Awards to Be Presented Annually
No more than two (2) Music Education Innovation Awards will be given in one year.
Method of Selection
- The NYSSMA Awards and Recognition Committee will review each nomination.
- If not selected, individuals submitting nominations may petition the committee to reconsider the application the following year.
- The committee reserves the right to not recommend any award recipient when appropriate.
The Awards and Recognition Committee will recommend the recipient to the NYSSMA President who will notify the recipient. The award may be presented at a local function.