- The NYSSMA Presidential Citation Award and Award of Excellence are presented to NYSSMA member school districts that act as models for music education programs in New York State.
- The District must provide a well-rounded music program at all levels.
- Strong consideration will be given to participation outside the schools and to programs that actively participate in NYSSMA.
- The completed application should provide a profile of your district's music program and include commentary on factors especially important to your program.
- The quality of the submitted written material will have considerable influence on how the Awards & Recognition Committee evaluates the application.
- Complete descriptions of your district policies, programs and practices are essential elements of a successful application.
- Failure to directly and adequately address each and every question may result in an unfavorable review, even though the district's music program may be quite excellent.
- Applications will be considered initially for the Presidential Citation Award, and then for the Award of Excellence.
- Any district that has received the Presidential Citation Award may not reapply for a period of seven years.
- A district that has received the Award of Excellence may reapply for the Presidential Citation Award in any subsequent year.
- All questions in the application must be answered. Please do not respond with "See Supporting Materials."
The Awards and Recognition Committee will recommend the recipient to the NYSSMA President who will notify the recipient. No more than two (2) Presidential Citations and two (2) Awards of Excellence will be given each year. The award may be presented at the NYSSMA Winter Conference.