NAfME Eastern Division 2023 Conference: April 13 - 16, Rochester, NY
PERFORMING ENSEMBLE APPLICATION
Connect, Create, Communicate!
Tuesday, March 15 – Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at 11:59pm ET
Recent history has changed the landscape of our educational system as well as society. As educators we continue to connect, create, and communicate with our students through music. We anticipate hosting hundreds of educators from across the Eastern Division and beyond for the return of our in-person professional learning event. We are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive community in which participants and members of all backgrounds can access events, programs, services, and be treated equitably. Performing ensembles of all ages, experience levels, cultures, and genres, are encouraged to apply.
Submission Window: Tuesday, March 15 – Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at 11:59pm ET
Application Fee - $20
Please comply with the Eastern Division Conference Performing Ensemble criteria for the performing ensemble application to be considered. All deadlines and criteria must be met. Refunds of performing ensemble application fees cannot be made.
1. NAfME acknowledges the wide diversity of performing ensembles and encourages the submission of traditional, emerging, innovative, and alternative ensembles of all ages, experience levels, cultures, and genres.
2. An effort will be made to ensure that invited performing ensembles will represent a variety of levels, sizes, and genres.
3. All teachers and conductors of all performing ensembles submitting applications must be current members of an Eastern Division state association (CT, DC, DE, EU, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT). In the case of faculty ensembles, all performers in the ensemble must be current members of their state association.
4. All performing ensembles wishing to appear in any concert session of the 2023 NAfME Eastern Division Conference must submit the following during the submission window (March 15 – June 15, 2022). Please note that a Submittable account (no cost) is required to submit an application. Information on creating an account can be found below these instructions.
· Completed application for the performing.
· Application fee of $20 per submission must be paid with credit card.
· Links to quality YouTube private channel audio or audio & video recordings of three representative performances by your ensemble must be submitted online via Submittable.
· Copies of performance program(s) from the current school year (2021-2022) which must include all selections submitted on the audition recordings.
· Unedited live recordings of three (3) selections not to exceed a total of 15 minutes (individual movements of a piece can be considered as separate selections).
· Please be sure the conductor cannot be identified in the recordings, file names, titles or thumb nail display (i.e., do not include the name of the school or the conductor).
o Unedited shall mean NO studio enhancements or alterations of any type.
o Live performance shall mean a complete performance of each selected work, whether in the rehearsal room or concert venue, with or without an audience. It is not acceptable to “build” a recording using individual tracks recorded at different times and then mixing the tracts together to create the final recoding for that selection.
5. Each application for a performing ensemble must be accompanied by a letter from an administrator (i.e., principal or superintendent) indicating a willingness to transport the ensemble to and from the conference site. The letter should also include the acknowledgement that any hotel accommodations and/or meals are the responsibility of the sending institution should the ensemble be invited to perform.
6. Conductors of performing ensembles must be the director of the ensemble on the audition recording and must be paid members of NAfME and their state association.
7. If submitting more than one ensemble for consideration, a separate application must be completed, and a separate fee must be paid for each ensemble applying under the same director.
8. All performing ensembles are auditioned on a strictly anonymous and impartial basis. Quality of performance, literature displayed, and the potential contribution to the entire content of the conference program will be determining factors in the final selections. No evaluations from adjudicators will be provided for the auditioning ensembles.
9. Participating performing ensembles must furnish all their own musical equipment and music stands.
10. Invitations to appear at the 2023 Eastern Division Conference will be issued by the Conference Program Chair by October 1. Please note that you may be asked to share a concert hour with another performing ensemble. Participating ensembles will accept performance time, length, location and format as prescribed by the Eastern Division.
Deadline: Wednesday, June 15, 2022
* When creating an account, or to sign into an existing account, you will be asked to provide an email address and create a password. This email address will be used for communication regarding the status of the conference session proposal. Click here for a support article or contact email@example.com for all technical/navigation issues.
Please direct all other questions to Michael Brownell, Eastern Division President-Elect and Conference General Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org